All games and releases in the entire world are categorized as being from the following six regions:
- North America
- South America
- We consider releases for Mexico to be North American releases.
- Japan (which is geographically part of Asia), is important enough from a gaming point of view, that we distinguish as its own separate region. Japan is like a video gaming mecca hub of the world, and wouldn't make sense to group it with general Asia releases.
- No releases that we know of are released for Africa or Antarctica - gamers in those regions of the world are/were required to import games from other regions.
- Most releases are created for a single region, and will have separate releases created for each region it gets released for. However, there are cases where a single release can be created for multiple regions at the same time (with NO provable differences in packaging or content).
- For areas of land more specific than these six broad regions, see territories.